By Nigel Alderman,C. D. Blanton
- An historic assessment and significant creation to the poetry released in Britain and eire during the last half-century
- Introduces scholars to figures together with Philip Larkin, Ted Hughes, Seamus Heaney, and Andrew Motion
- Takes an integrative method, emphasizing the advanced negotiations among the British and Irish poetic traditions, and pulling jointly competing traits and positions
- Written through critics from Britain, eire, and the United States
- Includes feedback for extra interpreting and a chronology, detailing an important writers, volumes and events
Read Online or Download A Concise Companion to Postwar British and Irish Poetry (Concise Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Best british & irish poetry books
'Will definitely rank as one of many finest literary biographies of our time. 'John Carey, Sunday instances In his lifetime Gerard Manley Hopkins (1844-1889) released only a unmarried poem - just a couple of shut neighbors have been acutely aware he wrote. a lot of his paintings used to be burnt through fellow Jesuits on his demise. And but Hopkins is at the present time an immense determine in English literature.
Sooner than the 1st global warfare T. E. Hulme was once one of many most unique and notable artistic personalities in England, strongly favorite by way of either Pound and Eliot. but he died in 1917, almost unknown. A key determine within the genesis of Modernism, Hulme combined between an excellent variety of proficient artists and used to be by no means shy of relationship controversy.
A prize-winning memoir, lovingly evoking New Zealand and the arriving of age of a much-loved poet. Kevin eire leads the reader out the again, in the course of the mangroves, less than the bridge and over the moon during this pleasant memoir. We meet the characters - for characters they're - who preceded him, provide start to him, snort with him, struggle over him, love and barren region him.
Starting with a reassessment of latest romantic experiences, this ebook offers a contemporary severe comparability of Keats and Shelley. The learn deals unique shut readings of various literary genres (including the romance, lyric, elegy and literary fragment) followed by means of Keats and Shelley to discover their poetic remedy of self and shape.
- This Composite Voice: The Role of W.B. Yeats in James Merrill's Poetry (Studies in Major Literary Authors)
- Thomas Traherne and the Felicities of the Mind - Student Edition
- Orientalist Poetics: The Islamic Middle East in Nineteenth-Century English and French Poetry (The Nineteenth Century Series)
- Identified In Trees
- The Works of the Gawain Poet: Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Pearl, Cleanness, Patience (Penguin Classics)
- The Iliad of Homer by Homer Translated by Alexander Pope
Additional resources for A Concise Companion to Postwar British and Irish Poetry (Concise Companions to Literature and Culture)
A Concise Companion to Postwar British and Irish Poetry (Concise Companions to Literature and Culture) by Nigel Alderman,C. D. Blanton